Tuscan villas, Tuscany apartments, Tuscany hotel and B&B in Tuscany by Owner
Best Price Guarantee Tuscan Properties
 
Search Property by Location
Last Minute Properties
La Vitaleta
La Vitaleta
06/12 - 09/08 2013
10% discount
villa-pool-siena-2
Il Villino
01/04 - 31/05 2013
10% discount
bibbiena-room.jpg
Relais Il Fieni…
27/08 - 30/10 2012
10% discount
Castle Tuscany Salon
Villa La Collin…
06/02 - 06/09 2012
22% discount

Florence Area Travel Guide

The Province of Florence is in Tuscany and counts almost a million inhabitants. On the northern borders it touches the Emilia-Romagna region, the Arezzo province on the south-east side, the Siena province on the southern border and on the west the provinces of Pisa, Lucca , Pistoia and Prato. The province used to be a Ducal prefecture established in 1848, which included the oldest part of Florentine domains. With the unification of Italy in 1860, the Florentine compartment substantially overlapped the prefecture territory. In 1865, with the approval of provincial and municipal laws were defined the various provinces, governed by an elected provincial council and chaired by the prefect of royal appointment. Following the rise of the fascist regime in 1922, the provincial deputation and the council was dissolved and replaced by a special commission. It is during this years that the province starts to change significantly. In 1925 the town of Castelfranco di Sotto, Montopoli in Val d'Arno, San Miniato, Santa Croce and Santa Maria a Monte were transferred to Pisa. In 1927 San Marcello Pistoiese, Serravalle Pistoiese, Agliana, Cutigliano, Montale, Pistoia, Lamporecchio Larciano Marliana, Piteglio and Quarrata formed the province of Pistoia. During World War II on August 11, 1944 the Tuscan Committee for National Liberation after the complete liberation of the city, took office in Palazzo Medici Riccardi restoring the Provincial Deputation. In 1992 the town of Prato, Montemurlo, Carmignano, Cantagallo, Poggio a Caiano, Vernio and Vaiano that formed the present province of Prato.

Cerreto Guidi

It rises upon a hill that used formerly to be covered by Turkey Oaks which in Italian are called cerro, hence the name of the…


Vinci

The little village is surrounded by the thick vegetation of the Montalbano hills, where one is struck by the changing greens of olive groves and…


Empoli

The town grew to its present size on the left bank of the Arno River, at the meeting point of important trade routes and was…


Sesto Fiorentino

Once a prevalently agricultural market town, surrounded by farms and large estates, it is situated six Roman miles from Florence (therefore the name Sesto, Sixth)…


Fiesole

Always a charming and much visited locality, it owes most of its popularity to its proximity to Florence, to the balmy climate and enchanting landscape…


  • Back to Main Tuscany Travel Guide
  • Back to Florence Area Travel Guide